Sea Turtle Season Runs May 1, 2022 Through October 31, 2022April 19, 2022 • Local Conditions
Help Our Turtles To Have A Successful Breeding Season
Every year dozens of sea turtles make their nests on Fort Myers Beach. Here are some things every resident and visitor should know to ensure a successful turtle season.
- Turn off unnecessary lights
- Make outside lights turtle friendly: fully shielded from beach view, low to the ground, downward directed fixture, long wavelength, wildlife friendly bulbs.
- Block interior lights from beach view: use black-out curtains, set an alarm to close curtains at 9pm, move interior lights away from windows, use 15% transmittance tinted ‘turtle’ glass.
- Avoid using cell phone, flashlights or fishing lanterns on the beach. Even light from cell phones can impact hatchlings.
- If you see a turtle on the beach do not disturb it with lights or photos or noise. Quietly back away and let her lay eggs and return to the ocean.
For more information visit www.turtletime.org.
Questions? Contact Chadd Chustz, Environmental Project Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org or 239-765-0202 Ext. 1312.